Monday, February 26, 2007

There will be no photo to accompany this post -- the mental picture is bad enough

Those of you who spoke to me in the weeks before our move to London may remember a certain purchase that I made after a conversation with another expat about the different styles she saw on women around here. I hated everything about how those jeans looked on me in the fitting room ("if you wore a style the last time it was popular, you have no business wearing it again when it comes back into fashion," I stubbornly insisted), but I bought them anyway, both as an insurance policy against paying London prices for the same ugly pair of jeans and a reminder to myself that I might need to be a bit more flexible and adaptive to fit in over here.

Those jeans sat in a bag in my closet, unopened, for nearly six months. During that time, I stubbornly wore my old clothing style, despite the fact that I often looked more like the nannies than the other mothers I encountered in my daily routine. I was not a skinny jeans person; I was bootcut, I kept telling myself. Fashion and fitting in be damned. I would be true to myself.

I've worn those bootcut jeans of mine so many times that they are about to spring holes in the knees. Even the nannies are beginning to look put together compared to me. As much as I don't care about sporting the latest fashion, I had to admit that my look had crossed the line from dated to downright scruffy. And thus it was that this weekend, while looking for something to wear that would not be truly embarrassing, I pulled that Gap bag out of the depths of my closet.

Somehow, after 6 months of seeing skinny jeans everywhere, they didn't look nearly as horrifying in the mirror. In fact, I couldn't quite see what it was that had bothered me so much about them back in August. And thus it was that I went off to take Evan to a birthday party clad in skinny jeans. And aw, hell, if I'm confessing this, I might as well admit the whole story. I wore them with pointy heeled boots. And I felt (God, can you see me blushing here?) pretty good about how the ensemble looked.

Please, please tell me that you're all wearing the same thing back in the States these days? Please tell me I'm not going European over here and that the local Starbucks in my home town is filled with skinny jean wearing Moms in heels...

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

What I'm embarassed about is telling you how often I've wondered how your skinny jean adventures were going!

Bootcut is still quite common where I am, but less so all the time!

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umm, sure! Yeah! I see skinny jeans and heels all. the. time. Really, I do...of everyone I know, you can pull off the look.

C

1:52 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

In my particular suburb, I can't say that I've really seen a lot of the skinny jean look.

Glad to hear that you were able to wear the ensemble with confidence :)

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think you will ever see me looking fashionable in a pair of skinny jeans, but boy do I wish! You go girl, wear those skinny jeans and be proud!

7:24 PM  
Blogger Kristen In London said...

Oh, isn't the Yummy Mummy school run thing in London tiresome? The getups at pickup. Wear your jeans and be proud.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Talbot's doesn't make skinny jeans. And *if* (big if, there) I take off my pajamas to put on jeans - they're from Talbot's. I'm hopelessly frumpy, aren't I?!

3:43 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Uh, well, no. I can't say I ever saw a wave of skinnys, actually hit here... Bootcuts still rule at Starbucks! ;) From what I hear (big fashionista that I am -- *ahem*) skinny jeans were in here, but are already on their way back out again. Perhaps the general public is more wise than the fashion gurus realize? ;)

But if you are going to wear them, it should definitely be with pointy boots. Definitely.

3:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know, Rebecca, I have two pairs of jeans and one pair of pointy toes boots. I also feel somewhat put together when I wear them, which isn't often, but I do wear them from time to time. I don't know if they're out here or not, but those jeans were a might bit expensive, so I'm wearing them regardless!!

11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fwiw, they've been seen in my part of the world, which suburban PA. i don't do starbucks, but i do the preschool and target run :)

6:49 PM  
Blogger Pink Sun Drops said...

I got my first pair last month in California and I heart them! I wear them with pointy toe high heels and they make me feel SO stylish and pulled together. Your outfit sounds gorgeous! I bet the boots rocked the look.

Oh and yes, they are EVERYwhere here - even in boring trend and fashion deprived Texas - I'VE brought them here for sure hehe. Fortunently other styles of jeans are still in too so it's not a must wear all the time (yet), just fun to!

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home