Monday, August 13, 2007

The Somewhere Over The Pondies

No less than four months ago, Liesl over at Come, Mommy tagged me for the Real Moms meme. The idea of the meme was cute; participating bloggers were supposed to write about something they find themselves doing as real moms -- presumably to dispel some of the need for perfectionism and increase the feeling of solidarity among parents. I love reading about Liesl's family's exploits in my home state and appreciated the shout out from her in this post. I didn't mean to blow it off per se. But I've never been a huge fan of memes and awards and other such Internet chain letters, and so I just... set it aside for a while. (Ahem.) A long while.

Around the same time, Dana of Angst du Jour fame very thoughtfully presented me with a Thinking Blogger Award. I was touched (and immediately emailed her to say so); Dana's one of the most thoughtful and thought-provoking people I've ever come across in my ever-expanding blogging network, and this award meant a lot coming from her. As much as any "blog award" could mean, of course... I mean, we're essentially talking about a big ole' Web game of tag and "no, but you're so great" here, right? So yeah, I said thanks -- and I meant it -- but I didn't rush to pass the award on. (Sorry, Dana!)

Fast forward a few months to July, when Iota of Not Wrong, Just Different bestowed the Rockin' Blogger Award upon me. Iota's one of my very favorite bloggers at the moment; her experiences as a British expat in the U.S. never cease to make me smile, and her hybrid of American and British spellings and expressions reads like my own mind at work. I love her writing, love her impressions of American life... it's a big fat love-fest. How flattering to see that she felt the same way. I should really acknowledge that, huh? Except, see above.

Finally this week, my fellow London expat blogger Amanda of London Southern Belle awarded me with the Nice Matters Award. Now they've clearly thought of everything (whomever "they" might be), right? The Nice Matters award??? But Amanda's a talented writer whose work I really enjoy and it was sweet of her to think of me and even sweeter of her to consider me nice when I'm clearly a bit of a snarky bitch at times and my God, how could I just leave all that niceness dangling there?

So.

As much as I enjoy blogging, I'm not much one for gratuitous reading or commenting on other people's blogs. There are a limited number of hours in the day, y'know? And there are a lot of blogs out there. So if I take the time to read and occasionally comment on your blog, that pretty much means I think your writing is good and your perspective is interesting. I think that you're a Thinking Blogger. I think that you're a Rockin' Blogger. And hell, I even think you're nice. So if you are so inclined, please help yourself to one of the pretty buttons below. You've earned 'em more than I have. And if you are not so inclined? Trust me, I won't be insulted...







And with that, Liesl, I hereby complete the meme you tagged me for so long ago that you've probably completely forgotten about it. Real Moms... we may break the rules a bit, but we eventually get the job done.

7 Comments:

Blogger Liesl said...

Hee hee! This is the most original spin on these blogging memes/awards I've ever read. I love it!

And in this case, I wouldn't call it breaking the rules, I'd call it improving the rules :)

5:19 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

LOL, this was perfection, Rebecca. And thanks so much for your thoughtful words.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

This is great. You always have an interesting perspective, and a unique and crafty way of presenting it. Love it. :)

8:12 PM  
Blogger Iota said...

I do agree with you about these awards. The first time I got one, I was so excited and flattered. But if you do the math (ie everyone who gets one can pass it on to 3 people or 5 people or 7 people), then you realise that it is really only a matter of time before everyone out there is going to be a recipient. I think it has got a bit out of control. It's probably just a phase in the emerging world that is the blogosphere, (and actually, it still is quite nice to get them, so if anyone is reading this, please, don't let it stop you adding me to your list).

Do I use a mix of British and American expressions? Oh help. I don't even notice any more.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Rebecca, you do rock. And this is exactly why.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Van Man London specialize in removals, individual and office moves, quick goods relocation, light industrial moves, exhibitions and galleries assistance or door to door delivery and collection.
For more information kindly visit:- Man van London

5:05 AM  
Blogger Clipping Path Service Provider said...

There is a bunch of Clipping Path Service Provider in the world market. But the difference with us is we have a huge bunch of professional team, Each of our has a minimum 5 year to 12 years experience in this clipping path service provider sector. You can visit our site to see our working quality.

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home