Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Anticipatory nostalgia

They are beautiful all year round. In the spring and summer, they shade the street with a canopy of green which feels impossibly lush for the urban landscape that surrounds them. That canopy becomes a carpet in the autumn, a sidewalk blanketed with the largest leaves I've ever seen; proof positive that everything about this country -- even its trees -- has an age and a longevity I could never expect to find in the US.

Those autumn leaves have long since been cleared away and the green canopy still exists only in my wistful future. Right now, beauty can be found in the mottled skin of bare bark and the spidery reach of branches. I admire their stark outline against the winter sky, trying to burn the image into my memory. The next time the trees outside my house look like this, we will be gone.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may not be there next year, but you will always remember how beautiful it is. :) Take a lot of photos (which I know you do). I am hoping to see your photo albums when you're back in the states. Can you plan a trip to return?

7:01 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

Beautiful picture (and beautiful trees). I'm sure you'll always remember it.

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nostalgia can be sweetest in foresight. For a while, I looked at California through those eyes, and it was beautiful.

2:30 AM  
Blogger Expat mum said...

Hi there. Glad you're enjoying things there. Next time I get fed up with the lack of leaves at the moment, I will stand underneath the trees and try to take a photo from that angle. I'm sure my result won't be as good though.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh, so beautiful. The words and the image.

3:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home