Monday, October 30, 2006

Google Images: even better than the real thing

We're finally unpacked and settled enough to start doing some sightseeing, and last week's Half Term (i.e. school vacation week) gave us the perfect opportunity to get started. Where did we begin? Where else...


With the pageantry and the music and the horses and the royalty, the Changing of the Guards seemed like a memorable starting point for our young tourists. We were right -- the trip itself was a hit. Evan liked the music and the big, furry hats and Julia liked imagining what her bedroom in the palace would look like if she were a princess. One for the memory books? Sure. Except (ahem) guess what the photos that we took look like?


Nothing says "we were there" quite like photos of the backs of other tourists' heads. Would it be horribly unethical of me to fill our travel albums with stock photography? The idea is strangely appealing. Hell, if it weren't for the obligatory "cute kids at notable tourist destination" shots, we could almost leave the camera home entirely...

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

So adorable!!!

6:58 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

Too cute :) And, um, I've done the stock photos in our family albums before....

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice. Keep them both stock and non stock coming :)

1:36 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

We just returned from a trip, and so many times I just wanted to swoop in and clear all those pesky tourists away from the big tourist sites so that we could get better pictures.

A subtle mix of stock and personal photos won't harm anybody!

1:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go with the stock photos of the changing of the guard. Absolutely precious kiddos. :)

3:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to England when I was a teenager and I have a travel book filled with pictures of the backs of other people's heads. I wish I had thought of your idea so that my photo album would look more interesting.

4:12 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Stock photos + Photoshop to paste in the cute kids = A great photo album! (*grin*)

6:05 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

Yay, sightseeing. Booo to backs of people's heads. Oh well, I do believe Google Images was invented for stock pictures to fill out the memory book. Adorable pics of the kids, by the way.

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh ha ha, I truly did "LOL" over the idea of filling your album with stock photos, because I spend wa-a-a-ay more time sifting through stock photography than taking my own photos. :)

BTW, I sent you an email over the weekend and it bounced back (again!). I sent it again -- please let me know if it doesn't arrive.

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home