Thursday, January 11, 2007

British is as British does

In the past week alone, I have caught myself saying all of the following things without any forethought or deliberate attempt to sound British:

He's going to be just shattered.
Let me have a think on that.
That's just brilliant!
Does that sandwich come with to-mah-to and bah-sil?
I'm just going to pop to the loo.
Aren't you clever?

I've also found myself wanting desperately to say "cheers" at least three dozen times but have been unable as yet to utter the word. I'd have caved long ago were I not so terrified of sounding like a complete ass with my American accent. It's only a matter of time before the word slips out, though.

My American identity holds strong, but the British colloquialisms? I'm powerless to resist them. The next thing you know, I'll be ordering a fil-let. God help me (after He saves the Queen, of course).

4 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

But have you used, "Mind how you go"?

:-) I have a British friend whose mom (or 'mum') always used to say this when I left their house.

6:54 PM  
Blogger chichimama said...

And you'll find that you'll keep saying them when you come back. Three of them I didn't even think odd, and I still think "bloody" is the best swear word ever.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Suburban Hippie said...

Oh, I'm awful with the Britishisms -- comes from reading too much Douglas Adams and Harry Potter, and watching too many BBC shows. And my most common expletive is "bloody hell" -- pure Ron Weasley. It will be interesting to see if you come home with a UK accent . . .

2:56 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

It's funny, I actually noticed you write "mobile" (instead of "cell phone") the other day...and wondered if "they" were getting to you. But "to-mah-to"?! They've GOT you, my friend! (*grin*)

3:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home