Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A fairy tale

Once upon a time, there was a little girl who fancied herself a princess. (We'll call her Princess Julia because what the heck... Julia's a pretty name.) Princess Julia lived in New Jersey, where she was very happy, until one day her family whisked her away to live in London. Princess Julia soon adapted to her new home and found it very much to her liking, but she was worried about her upcoming birthday. She was upset that her party could not be in the New Jersey ice cream parlor where she'd always dreamed of celebrating her fifth birthday and she was sad that her old friends could not be there to celebrate with her. "What if no one comes to my party here?" she asked her mother. (Princess Julia knew all of the right buttons to push where her mother was concerned.)

And so Princess Julia's mother spent the King's Ransom to give her sweet girl the party of her dreams, a party so grand that it would eclipse all memories of ice cream parlors and a party so special that no child would dare refuse an invitation. Princess Julia and her friends (all of whom magically accepted their invites and appeared with large plastic gifts in hand) gathered in the magic fairy grotto and perched on sparkly toadstools as Cinderella and her fairy assistant entertained them with storytelling, magic, games and dancing. There was pizza and overpriced cake and more than a little fairy dust. Princess Julia glowed with joy and pronounced it the most magical birthday party EVER. Her mother wrote a horrifyingly large check and wondered when she'd become such a sucker for her daughter. And then they all lived happily (albeit significantly poorer) ever after.











12 Comments:

Blogger Suburban Hippie said...

That looks like one boffo party, and I'm pleased that all the invitees accepted -- that sort of stuff is enough of a concern at home, and must be so much more so when you've recently been transplanted.

I'm wondering how many Pepto-Bismal pink Barbie geegaws Princess Julia added to her collection? I'm guessing quite a few . . . I confess to being guilty of ALWAYS buying Barbie stuff when Sam's invited to a birthday party for a girl.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

Wow - that looks like it was quite a party! M would be green (or pink?) with envy! Looks like Princess Julia had a blast, and so glad to hear that all of her little friends accepted.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Oh. My. Gosh! Looks like an awesome party. I'm glad she had a great time and that all her friends came. Wow, love the shoppe window, too!

11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwwww.....

1:20 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

She is the prettiest little princess I have ever seen. :) Happy Birthday Julia!

1:46 AM  
Blogger Liesl said...

Aw, what a fantastic birthday party. I bet she remembers this forever!

2:06 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I can only imagine the check you wrote out...

But oh my goodness does it look worth it! Could there be a more perfect 5 year old girl party?!

4:11 AM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

That looks like a fun party!

4:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It WAS a great party!

Although we're still finding tiny pieces of gold fairy dust all over our house...

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy am I glad I have a boy!!! Aidan is perfectly content in a pile of dirt. Based on the photos of the store awash in pepto, I sincerely hope that never changes! However, I'm glad Julia had such a magical time - that's really all that matters in the end anyway, right! Becca, you are the coolest mom!

8:28 PM  
Blogger slow poke kate said...

how delightful! I have birthday next Monday....I wonder if it is too late to book my spot? I'm never too old for princess pretty-ness! My husband had a Barbie cake made for me last year ;)

Your little one is a lucky girl. And, gorgeous to boot! :) Looks like a great time.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Beautiful and memories that will last forever. I can imagine years from now, she'll say, "Mom, remember when I had that princess party? It was the best!"

You done good, mom.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home