Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Fun with language, part 3

It happens to me at least 3 or 4 times a week. Julia will be happily telling me about her school day when her words suddenly stop me in my tracks. "Wait, your teacher is encouraging you to use what???" I ask her in sudden bewilderment. Each time she smiles patiently at me, as if I am a small, slightly daft child who needs remedial education. "Rubbers," she'll reply with a slightly exasperated laugh. "I've told you this a million times. We have to use rubbers so we don't make mistakes."

She'll get the exact same lesson back in the US someday, I imagine. But there, they'll call it Sex Ed, not Handwriting Practice.

13 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

You got me to laugh out loud on that one. That is hilarious!! :)

6:54 PM  
Blogger Patois42 said...

The more likely scenario back here? No one in the schools will tell her about rubbers. They'll tell her to "Just say no."

9:37 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Oh. My. Gosh!

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet mother of Lynott, they are progressive over there....

10:53 PM  
Blogger Iota said...

Well, the rubber is for rubbing out mistakes. As eny ful no. And when it comes to erasers, why do you pronounce it erace, rather than eraze? Just giving you the British English perspective here...

6:36 PM  
Blogger Victoria said...

Love it!

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait! What do the Brits call condoms, then?

1:24 AM  
Blogger Lan said...

We call them condoms, but they are also known as rubbers, altho' that tends to be an old fashioned term.

That's why we can see the funny side of what Julia said.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Iota said...

And we Brits laugh just a little when you call condominiums "condos".

French letters - that's another (slightly old-fashioned) name for condoms.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just found you & am laughing my little tooshy off.

2:54 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Hi!

Your blog is a delight. I'm really enjoying all your language posts.

6:24 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

EEEEEKKK!

;)

8:27 PM  
Blogger Ginger said...

LOL!!!

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home