Friday, November 09, 2007

There actually is a method to my madness

After 14 months of fighting a losing battle with the stainless steel appliances in my London kitchen, I am delighted to have finally found a cleaning product which keeps fingerprints and streaks at bay. This product -- which I recently discovered at the most high end of our three local grocery stores -- is imported, and like all imported products, it comes at a premium. I have no issue with this in theory; I understand the whole cost of importation issue, not to mention the added appeal factor which enables retailers to up the price of fancy schmancy foreign goods. I'd already tried all of the locally manufactured products which are designed to clean stainless steel and none of them worked, so if the higher price tag on this product is what I have to pay to get something that actually works, so be it.

Sort of.

Except somehow, it really kind of burns me on to pay such a steep markup on this particular product.

7 Comments:

Blogger Iota said...

Ooh, how annoying, you've got there first. I was going to include Method products in my "Reasons to be Cheerful" series. I LOVE the stuff.

Doesn't good old-fashioned British bleach do the job ok?

8:42 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

We just got new appliances thatour stainless steel, and I am having a heck of a time finding something that keeps them clean. Have to check for that one.

thanks

10:05 PM  
Blogger Patois42 said...

Not that it will help you now, but have you ever tried Bar Keeper's Friend? And I don't mean the pub's mate Joe.

12:12 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

A-ha. Now I know what I could send to you for the holidays! ;)

3:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Plain old orange oil works too. That's a trick I learned from our crafty Polish cleaning lady.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Liesl said...

I can only imagine how much the stuff costs in England...

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find that (of course, after watching our cleaning people do it at the last house) putting baby oil on the appliances and then rubbing it off works fantastically. I know, sounds weird, but it's cheap and it works great and looks amazing. You have to rub it off so you don't get it on YOU, but it's pretty quick.

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home