Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Time keeps on slipping (slipping, slipping) into the future

The first removals company came yesterday to quote the job of shipping our belongings back to the States. Hours earlier, I had called our landlord to let him know that we are leaving and to recommend friends of ours as the next occupants of this flat. Taking care of these simple routine details has consumed me a bit more than I had anticipated. All that I can think about these days is our impending departure.

Our London life can be counted down in weeks now -- 10 1/2 more, to be exact. On August 1, we will be on a plane back to New Jersey and our time here will be nothing but a memory. Already, it has begun to feel like a memory, like we are living moments that I can fondly recall before they have even had a chance to occur. I'm ten steps ahead of myself it seems, because in my mind's eye we are already strapped into our seats as the plane hurtles down the runway, pointed towards home and away from home all at the same time.

"Slow down," I want to beg the clock, the calendar, the people around me. "Slow down," I want to tell myself as my brain launches into overdrive planning yet again. Slow down. Let me enjoy this. It's not over yet.

But there is no slowing down. I try to stop, to savor the moment, to really look at our current life and to enjoy what remains of it. But even that effort betrays me; if I open my eyes, I'm forced to see how quickly this has become this:


Any day now it seems, those new leaves will already be changing color and tumbling to the ground, blanketing the path of someone else's daily routine. It won't be mine. Our time in London will be over then, just as it now seems to be over even before it has actually come to an end. We're still here and yet we're already on that airplane, too. Fasten your seatbelts, folks. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what is the fate of your IKEA furniture?!

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ps, can we add our wish list of items we miss to your packing list? :)

4:47 PM  
Blogger Suburban Hippie said...

Awwww. I know very well that feeling of anticipatory nostalgia. At least you are going someplace where the leaves will turn color anyway. Northern New Jersey is just gorgeous in the autumn. I miss it so.

Give London a kiss from me.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Destination Dominica said...

I really identify with this post, I want to be on the plane, right now, but I also want to make the most of our last few weeks here....it's an all consuming process this moving lark.

9:35 PM  
Blogger ~lifedramatic~ said...

I love your blog. I found you via The Vol Abroad www.thevolabraod.blogspot.com . I've linked to your blog on mine. I hope you don't stop writing when you get home!

C

http://lifedramatic.spaces.live.com

10:38 PM  
Blogger Victoria said...

Aww - that shot (compared with the previous) is so dramatic.

All the best in wrapping up your last few weeks abroad. I've enjoyed your ride, and look forward to more this summer.

v.

12:28 AM  
Blogger E said...

I want to know how you decided to make this trip. How long was it in the making? How did you figure it out.
Savor these ending bits. Take big great gulpfuls of all that is left. We want to hear it all....

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously, *I'm* gonna cry....

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home