Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Tomato, tomoto

"Julia, do you say to-mae-to or to-mah-to these days?"

"To-mae-to. Definitely. But... when I talk to my friends, I say to-mah-to so they'll understand me. And I spell it to-mah-to on my school work so that I don't get it marked wrong."

"Um, Julia, there's only one correct spelling. It's the same word; people just pronounce it different ways."

"Really? How do you spell it?"

"T-o-m-a-t-o."

"Oh. Well, then I'm going to get it marked wrong."

"How were you spelling it?"

"T-o-m-o-t-o."

Makes sense to me...

8 Comments:

Blogger Suburban Hippie said...

Completely logical! I love Julia's ability to blend in, too!

2:05 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

Aw bless.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

My kids have already discussed how they're going to say certain words once we move. Hubby already has the foreign accent, so he's been their tutor. One of the words that cracks me up is when my 3-year-old accidently says "baNAHna." He gets really embarrassed!

1:30 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

Makes perfect sense to me, too. I love how she changes her pronunciation so her friends will understand her. I wonder what she'll sound like when you get back to the States.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

To-MAH-to is so foreign to my ears. Oh, ok, it's plain wrong. ;) But tomoto? Now tomoto, I could go for. She's onto something.

2:46 AM  
Blogger Undercover Angel said...

LOL! That is so cute. It makes sense to me too...

4:06 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Heehee. Makes sense to me too. You go girl!

7:06 PM  
Blogger slow poke kate said...

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks so much for your email of congrats on our adoption! :) Nice of you to de-lurk :)

Love your site and I pop by from time to time, too :)

My husband says snow is on its way to England this week :( I hope he is wrong!

Happy Spring,
Amanda
London Southern Belle

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home