Friday, November 10, 2006

Day 62

Julia was greeted at the door of her classroom today by a friend who appeared to be waiting for her. The two girls slipped off into the room, smiling and talking, and were soon joined by a third girl who joined their circle. I watched them for a moment and then walked away, fighting back inexplicable tears.

It sounds like such a little thing, for one child to greet another. It is a little thing. Hell, Julia was greeted at the classroom door by one cheerful little girl or another every single day last year and I never thought all that much about it. The fact that my child was well liked and included by her peers was lovely, of course, but not particularly noteworthy or unusual. Don't most 4 year olds like each other?

But here, where I've watched my daughter repeatedly stand alone on the fringes of birthday party fun? Here, where I've heard more times than I can count "I just played alone today, but it was OK, really" from my stoic, resigned kid? Here, where Julia's teacher recently told me that she has never, in all of her years of teaching, seen such an incredibly shy child? Here, it is something very special indeed.

We have been in London for 62 days, and today, for the first time, Julia was greeted at the door of her classroom by a friend who appeared to be waiting for her. Hallelujah.

5 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

So glad to hear that Julia is finding her place over there.

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Delighted to hear that Julia is making what seems to be really good friends. All in due time as they say, although it must have been an incredible feeling to realize that yes, my daughter, does and will fit in here.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Way to go Julia! Glad she is finding friends and fitting in.

2:48 AM  
Blogger Liesl said...

Oh, that's wonderful news for all of you. I'm glad Julia's finding friends at school. I bet there will be many more friends to come.

3:45 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Oh, yay! She who takes a child by the hand, takes a mother by the heart - even if the hand-holder is another 4-year-old

4:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home