Thursday, November 30, 2006

Little things mean a lot

Evan doesn't appear to remember what color our house was in the States. "I think it might be pink," he replied with a funny quizzical look on his face when I asked him about it the other day. Ditto our old car, which is causing him similar amounts of confusion. "It was definitely white, I think," he says of the vehicle which inspired him to scream "blue car" each and every time we entered our garage or approached it in a parking lot. Despite all of this American amnesia, his memory is as sharp as ever when it comes to our British domicile. He'll rattle off our street address unprompted to virtually anyone he meets and appears to be making a hobby of learning the post codes for all of the neighborhoods we frequent.

I noticed this morning on the way to school a certain confidence in Julia's step that I've not been aware of up until now. (Yes, these two paragraphs are related. Bear with me.) She was skipping along, swinging her reading folder and chattering away about her upcoming day. She seemed happy and comfortable and entirely in her element. A posh London private school which bears little resemblance to her friendly and nurturing American preschool? No problem. She couldn't wait to get there. She belongs there now.

Upon further reflection, I must also add that I have not turned my key the wrong way when locking my door for at least a week or two now. And I've given two people directions in the past few days without having to consult my A to Z first. And two different friends called me this morning to make some plans and just chat a bit.

Do you think it's possible that this place is starting to be home?

7 Comments:

Blogger Kristy said...

The most telling, by far? The key. When things that are at first automatically wrong become automatically right -- that's when you know you are home...

2:10 PM  
Blogger chichimama said...

So glad you are starting to feel like it is home but I MISS you. Sniff. *I* have not yet adjusted.

And you have gotten more calls about plans in one day than I got all week. Just saying... :-)

And every time we see "your" blue car, C gets all excited and thinks you are back.

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, since I haven't been to the Trolly since you all left, I hope it doesn't feel TOO much like home!

5:23 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I'm glad you're settling in. Love your new blog design!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

So glad to hear that you are all starting to feel like you are at home over there.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

Yay, there is no place like home. Where ever that might be.

If I were in your shoes (ha, another Wizard of Oz ref, I'm on a roll), I know I'd arrived if I could cross the street without looking *both* ways.

Congratulations.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I think it's more than possible.

Yay you! All of you. :)

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home