Friday, March 23, 2007

A new kind of Thursday night drama

I was watching the premiere of Shark last night, which Channel Five is promoting as the hottest new drama to hit American television screens this year. (As an aside, are any of you people actually watching this program, or is that marketing-speak for "we acquired the rights to this show before we realized what a dud it is and now that we've paid for it, we plan to jam it down your throats"?)

First I thought the problem was my television, so I turned the sound up a bit. Then I thought the problem might be that I was lying down and one of my ears was essentially blocked, so I sat up straighter. And finally I called Paul into the room.

"Listen to this show for a minute," I begged him. "Can you understand a word any of these people are saying or are they all just talking way too fast for you to follow?"

He listened. And then he started to laugh at me. Apparently, he was having no trouble whatsoever following the dialogue, which he assured me was proceeding at a regular American pace. "Oh my God," I wailed. "I totally can't follow any of this! It's ridiculously fast for me!! I think Americans talk too fast now!!! I'm becoming British after all!!!!"

Paul just shook his head at me, though I wasn't sure whether it was my lack of comprehension or my overly dramatic reaction that he was responding to. "I'm going to read about this in the blog tomorrow, I just know it," he muttered as he walked away.

8 Comments:

Blogger Suburban Hippie said...

Well, at least you're still calling it "Channel" Five instead of just Five. Or were you just dummying down for us ugly Americans?

6:31 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

What Gretchen said...

7:35 PM  
Blogger chichimama said...

Never even head of Shark. Sorry. And C told me that I talk too fast today, so you should clearly not be able to understand a word I say...

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last year, on the way to somewhere, I saw the pilot of Shark on an airplane. It was billed, naturally, as the greatest new show to hit TV land. Not surprisingly, it didn't live up to its billing. I don't think it lasted very long.

So, how British do you sound?

12:57 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

Hee! I don't know what's funnier, your reaction, or the fact the Paul knows you so well.

4:12 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

Hehe! I've never heard of Shark either...

4:56 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I have not even heard of Shark either. Evidently it's hiding with the skinny jeans in the Not *That* Hot Here closet...?

Hee.

4:50 AM  
Blogger OneTiredEma said...

I, unfortuntately, know about Shark and know that it is still on the air. My husband likes it. (And for the plots, I think, not just Jeri Ryan.) So he watches and works at the same time, and I read blogs and we call it Thursday night bonding.

2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home