Saturday, April 07, 2007

Capital H

"Does it feel like we've been gone forever," I asked Julia yesterday as I drove down familiar streets to take her to a playdate at the home of one of her closest friends, "or like we've never left?"

I didn't expect much of an answer from my daughter, given the fact that I wasn't quite sure of the answer myself. We've all enjoyed every minute of our visit to the States so far, but it's been far too whirlwind of a trip for me to have processed any of what we've experienced here just yet. To be honest, I was finding it a little surreal to once again find myself driving on autopilot to a house I've logged so many trips to and from in the past few years. My question was just mindless out-loud chatter, words to fill the space until we arrived at our destination. But Julia barely skipped a beat before she replied.

"It does feel like we've been gone for a long time," she replied decisively. "But it also feels like we've come home."

Home. It was a word I hadn't even dared to suggest, but Julia offered it up as easily and naturally as if there was never any doubt. And the minute the words were out of her mouth, I knew how right they were. We reside (quite happily, I might add) in London for the time being. But this little New Jersey town where we've spent the past eight years putting down roots? This is our Home, the kind that comes with a capital H. I must confess that it made me beam to hear Julia say that so easily. But the fact that she said so in a decidedly British accent? That made me smile, too.

5 Comments:

Blogger Suburban Hippie said...

Kids pick things up so quickly -- I'm wondering if she will carry a bit of a British accent all her life. Such a lucky girl to have a bicontinental life at her tender age!

1:05 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

Too cute and so sweet. Glad that you are enjoying your visit Home.

1:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So glad you're enjoying your visit HOME. Lower case "home" will be waiting for you when you return soon. Miss you! Sam

1:49 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

How precious! And I can picture you driving those NJ streets and through the town where you've been putting down roots. I'm glad you're enjoying Home.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Can I tell you how much I love the fact that Julia has picked up an English accent? I have no idea why I find this thrilling, but it is.

Enjoy your time home.

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home