Friday, April 20, 2007

It's hard to believe that I am the same mother who was horrified about the prospect of full-day school just a few short months ago

Two and a half weeks of hectic schedules, house guest-appropriate behavior and 24/7 togetherness has tested my relationship with Julia a bit. (Translation: we're both ready to kill each other.) Yesterday morning, as she dillied and dallied and completely ignored my repeated (and admittedly strained) requests for her to get dressed so that we could walk out the door, I could feel my last ounce of patience just completely evaporate.

"Julia," I finally hissed between clenched teeth, "am I going to spend another whole day yelling at you?"

She turned and smiled at me. "No," she replied brightly, "you're not."

"I'm not?" I replied hopefully. Had my headstrong and independent child finally seen the wisdom of my guidance? Was she ready to accept that experience, reasoning skills and overall knowledge lend legitimacy to my rules, perhaps even cheerfully follow my requests the first (or second... I'm not picky) time I uttered them? It seemed a long shot, but I was willing to hope...

"No, you're not. I go back to school today. You won't see me for hours."

Hallelujah.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ginger said...

My son is so eager to be at school early that he has been known to come ask me if he can get in the car before I have even emerged from the bathroom.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

You don't know how good your post made me feel..... I'm so glad that I'm not the only one.

And, this, my friend, is why I have spent the last few days lining up all sorts of camp activities for my kids this summer!

8:03 PM  
Blogger Liesl said...

I hope you both enjoyed your hours of separation. Isn't it amazing how we can simultaneously love and want to kill our kids??

12:52 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Why is it I get some sort of good feeling about hearing you positively "hiss"?!? Ahhh, schadenfreude.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I think I might need to hear this "hiss" over an audiofile. Because I, somehow, have the feeling that even your "hiss" is refined and patient...at least compared to...*ahem*...me, some days. Ack.

Julia's response to you is priceless!

2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home