Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Reading between the lines

Dear Director of the American Preschool Which Julia and Evan Used to Attend,

Enclosed, please find Evan's registration form for the 2008-2009 academic year. Oh please, oh please, oh please find a spot for him. Per our email exchange, I'm fully cognizant that spots are going to be very tight on the pre-K classes next year and I recognize that it will likely be impossible to get our first choice of classes if we even get a place at all. 45 pre-K children, 46 pre-K children... what's the difference, really? I promise to keep him home when the school accreditation team arrives to count heads if that's what it takes. However, I'm hopeful that something will open up somewhere and that Evan will be able to re-join a familiar and comfortable school environment to help ease his transition back to the States. Evan, Shmevan. Like he even remembers? It's me who desperately needs to re-join a community where I feel comfortable and at home when we return to the US. Please don't make me start over again!!!

I appreciate all of your advice about other local preschool programs and will certainly investigate other options if it becomes clear after the registration lottery that there really won't be a place for Evan in your school. Ugh. I so don't want to go through this hell again. How many times am I going to have to scramble to find school places for my children before they even reach formal schooling age? But the prospect of sending Evan elsewhere makes me so sad that for now, I think I'm just going to wait and keep my fingers crossed that this won't be necessary. Do you see me sticking my fingers in my ears and my head in the sand here? La, la, la... I don't hear you...

I look forward to receiving an update from you and hope that the news will be good! If not, maybe we'll just stay here in London where we know we're wanted. Evan actually has a school place in London (but no pressure or anything)... In the meantime, many thanks for all of your help and support. Would now be an inopportune time to mention all of the help and support that I've offered you over the years?

Fondly (and prepared to grovel if that's what it takes to get you to feel the same way),
Rebecca

6 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

Oh no! I hope that they make a spot for Evan (and you!)

1:08 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Don't make me open a can of whoopass on them... ;) My fingers are crossed for Evan as well as you!

7:26 PM  
Blogger Pink Sun Drops said...

Hoping he gets HIS spot!

Dang isn't getting into schools the hardest thing though? When they're not the local neighborhood school any way.

6:07 AM  
Blogger Badness Jones said...

Fingers crossed! Isn't all the pre-school pressure insane?!

10:10 AM  
Blogger Patois42 said...

Crossing my fingers that he's in.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh no! Fingers crossed here, too!

(But, seriously. They know you? So they know you can't say no to volunteering, right? They WILL make room for Room Mother and Head of the PTA, er, I mean Evan, I promise. Hee.)

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home