Friday, January 04, 2008

Where the heart is

"Oh, by the way, I put you down as my emergency contact on next year's preschool forms since you'll be back by the time the school year starts. It felt really good."

If ever I wondered where I belong these days, these two sentences casually thrown out in the middle of a mindless phone conversation about nothing in particular answered my unspoken question. I've found countless amazing things here in London, many of which I didn't even know I wanted or needed before I arrived. But the feeling of being wanted and needed myself? That's what I call home.

6 Comments:

Blogger Badness Jones said...

That's lovely. Was that Chichimama? 'Cause I know she's missed you!

6:52 PM  
Blogger Iota said...

That sounds so good. Does it feel like you're on the home straight, now we're in 2008?

When you arrived in London, did you have to scout around for someone to put down as an emergency contact for your kids? Did you know anyone in advance? I gave the name of someone who is very competent, and I was sure she'd cope well with any situation, but my kids had met her only once (I'd hardly met her more than that myself), and I thought how awful it would be for them to be with someone so strange in a crisis.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

It's still a stretch for me to come up with my emergency contacts, and we've lived here for five years....
So have you started a countdown yet? :)

2:15 AM  
Blogger Pink Sun Drops said...

Aw.

5:42 AM  
Blogger Patois42 said...

She's a sneaky one, isn't she?

3:27 PM  
Blogger Victoria said...

Aw. So sweet!

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home