Wednesday, March 19, 2008

There's a bee in the bonnet pun to be made here, but I'm still too incoherent to make it

(The Girlfriend Getaway post is coming when I have the time and energy to sort through my photos. But first this...)

"How are you feeling?" my friend Sarah asked sympathetically as she very kindly dropped Evan off at home after school on Monday so that I wouldn't have to leave the house in my sickly state. I sort of groaned and leaned against the door jam limply. "Oh, well then you'll be delighted to see this," she said brightly, handing me a missive from Evan's teachers. I glanced at the sheet and then groaned again.

"Wednesday is Easter Bonnet Day," the note enthusiastically proclaimed. Each child, I read on, must decorate their own bonnet ("remember, any hat will do!") at home and bring it in on Wednesday morning to wear in the school parade. "Your bonnet could look like this," the sheet cheerfully continued, followed by a picture of what an Easter bonnet might look like if the entire team of Project Runway set to work to create the perfect Easter ensemble. "Be creative!" I was dangerously close to audibly weeping as I thanked Sarah, shut the door and crawled back into bed.

I'm not Martha Stewart on the best of days, and these have not been my best days. But Evan needed a hat and a hat he would have. Julia promised to help and I pumped myself up with antibiotics and fever reducers in an effort to rise to the challenge. I was in a delirious enough state by then that I was beginning to see Easter bonnets that didn't really exist, but Evan kept us firmly on course. Together, we would create the perfect bonnet, provided I didn't keel over or cough up a lung first.

We took the "any hat" option very seriously and started with Evan's fireman's helmet. A covering of purple tissue paper, a swig of star garland and an assortment of Easter-themed Hama bead creations later, my boy had a bonnet.

In my feverish state, I actually thought it looked quite fine indeed. Aw, hell, if he forgives me for the purple butterfly costume some day, surely he'll forgive me for this as well...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only realized after the fact last year that the Easter Bonnets were the biggest craftsy event at A's school.

You did a great job!

7:05 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh. My. God. (No Easter pun intended.) You did good, friend. You did good. But, yeah. You're gonna have a lot of explaining to do to Evan one day. *giggle*

9:16 PM  
Blogger Victoria said...

He's going to kill you someday...

But it's a very fine bonnet indeed.

=)

Hope you're well soon.

12:41 AM  
Blogger Suburban Hippie said...

Oh God, I would totally get off my sickbed and throttle everyone in charge at that school. Awesome bonnet though.

1:42 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

It is a lovely hat!

I hope you feel better soon.

couldn't they just do that easter bonnet craft *at* school????

2:17 AM  
Blogger Liesl said...

I think it's very cute, and it definitely looks like Evan had a big hand in designing it :) How did the big bonnet day go?

2:50 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

I am quite astonished that you were able to accomplish that, especially being sick. I wouldn't even know where to begin! Great job!

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home